Monday 7 March 2016

Audience Research

I managed to ask 14 people who are interested in the pop magazine genre questions to help me develop my magazine, and to make sure it was suited to my target audience. The main questions I asked were in relation to my colour scheme, the name of my magazine title, pricing of the magazine and the type of things they would be expecting to see within the magazine.


From my research I came to the conclusion that the best colours to have in a pop magazine are pink, purple, blue, red and orange, so I made a few mixtures that I thought would be best suited and asked the audience their opinion. 2 people said red and blue, 3 said pink and blue, 4 said orange and pink/purple and 5 said pink and purple, so the main colour scheme I used on my magazine is pink and purple, which is very conventional as well, these colour consist throughout my front cover, contents and double page spread

The main variation of price ranges my audience said they would be prepared to pay for the magazine varied from £2-£4. So I came up with the average of £3, but put it as £2.99, as this is marketing technique used to trick the audience into viewing the price as cheaper than it actually is, and all the magazines I have looked at us this technique which makes it conventional.


I came up with 4 different title names I could have called my magazine and asked the audience on their opinion as to which one is best. "All Pop" ranked lowest as no one chose this option, I think this is because it is very simple and not very interesting. The second lowest is "Pop Pop Pop" and again I think this is because it is quite simple and not as catchy as the other two. "Pop Sensation" received the highest amount of votes and "Pop till you drop" just received one less vote. To start of with "Pop till you drop" was my favourite title as it has a pun in it which is very catchy and sounds really good, but then I realised it sounds more like a catch phrase, and doesn't fit too well with the conventions I have seen in my research. So I stuck with the audience vote and named the magazine name "Pop Sensation". I think this is a good choice because it very clearly shows that my magazine is of the pop genre, and the word "Sensation" really draws you in, and makes you think that the magazine will contain sensational people and topics (which it would).

My audience expressed how when they read a pop magazine they are not just looking for information about the music the artists are making, it's also for information about their lives and tips to be like them. I have also found this is very conventional in the magazines I have researched as well as there is a lot of talk about fashion, love/relationships, holidays and lots more, besides information about their music. This really helped me when creating my contents page.

No comments:

Post a Comment